This is...............


Click on the chart to enlarge

one dozen sweet navel oranges

two empty bottles of wine





...............my most recent favourite thrifted item. Nothing of great value, it cost 50c and is a wonderfully tacky 1950's souvenir small table cloth from Australia's famous Gold Coast, great memories of old tourist attractions and the way things were. I'm not sure that high rises that shade the golden sand beaches, monster theme parks and gold bikini clad parking meter maids are what holiday makers want to see when they travel to the GC these days. Anyway this recent find at a local charity store was just perfect for a recent idea I had seen. It's value is immense if you are wanting to carry things with ease. The Japanese Government Ministry for the Environment are encouraging the use of a Furoshiki or traditional wrapping cloths to carry almost anything in depending on the size of your chosen cloth. Gift your friends with one and a sheet of Furoshiki use diagrams courtesy of the Japanese Government for tips on how to carry everything from a bottle of wine (or two) to carrying a watermelon. I love this idea, plastic bags need to be a thing of the past, try it, it really works! Interestingly the Japanese flock to the Gold Coast by the plane load every day so it's only fitting that my first Furoshiki is a piece of our Gold Coast History.

Thanks to Lino Forest for the great meme, my apologies for being a few days late with my post, the cloth had been sitting ironed on my cutting table for days just needed a minute for the photo shoot.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

I adore the not so tacky 50's tablecloth...I think it divine...amazing what you can do with a pice of cloth will have to look into it a bit more...thanks so much for stopping by ...till soon..

Rachel said...

I love the way you folded it to make a bag for the oranges! Very resourceful and so creative!

Lisa [strickerin] said...

I give gifts wrapped up in tea towels rather than wrapping paper. This guide you have posted will help my wrapping look so much niccer than what I have been doing.

My other home is the Gold Coast so I really love your tea towel too.